Welcome!

I'm glad that you've found my blog! I will be writing here about my time abroad in Prague!

Reminder: I do not have a Facebook. I will post pictures
for everyone to see here, on the blog. You can also follow me on Twitter @TylerReedMiller.

Cheers!

Monday, October 8, 2012

Slovakia

This weekend I went to Slovakia with Daniel and Janka. It was a lot of fun, and reminded me a lot of Colorado for various reasons. The landscape is similar to Colorado in the mountains. The mountains aren't as  big but close enough. Also, we rode in a car, my first time in a car besides the taxi ride from the airport to my dorm. We visited Oravky Hrad, a castle in Slovakia. I do not know much about the castle because the tour we went on was all in Slovak. But it was still very enjoyable. Afterwards, we went to some underground caves. Although the pictures may seem redundant, they are all different. The temperature was about 7 degrees Celsius in the caves. The water is filled with calcium, among other minerals, which is what causes the unique formations that I have forgotten what they are called. It was incredible to see and we were underground for more than an hour.

Staying with Janka's family was also a fun experience. Her parents speak no English so it was somewhat difficult to communicate, but with a little translation and gestures we did alright. It reminded me of home because her mom was always busy cooking something that was always delicious and her dad was making sure everyone was happy. They had a birthday party for one of their family friends. It was very similar to American birthday parties and a lot of fun hanging out with everyone. There were others there about y age, and they all spoke English, although not as well as Janka speaks.

It was refreshing getting away from the big city and spending time in the open. I am not homesick, (maybe I will be in a few more weeks) but definitely thinking about everything I miss in the States. I will look forward to the comforts of home and spending time with my family and friends during the holidays!








No comments:

Post a Comment